Image hosting by Photobucket


Life ain't always beautiful but it's a beautiful ride...

Saturday, September 17, 2005



anonymous said...

"If you dont feed him formula & he wont take expressed milk in a bottle- then why would you drink Crown & pepsi ? Isnt that bad for the baby ??"


I thought I would answer this in a whole new post. Just in case others are wondering.
The easiest way for me to do this is to copy/paste the info for any who would like to educate themselves on breastfeeding and alcohol. It peeves me a bit that whoever asked didn't leave a name,its an honest question. I can see how one that doesn't know would think it was harmful to the baby. I would never harm my children. I am hoping its someone who doesn't know me. I don't get a lot of anonymous comments except when its my mom. I know this wasn't my mom for she has seen me drink and nurse before. I think she would of questioned it years ago. And I only drink once baby is down for the night or at least for a few hours.;-)
Breastfeeding and Alcohol

By Kelly Bonyata, IBCLC
Guidelines

* Current research says that occasional use of alcohol (1-2 drinks) is not harmful to the nursing baby. Alcohol (ethanol) is approved by the American Academy of Pediatrics for use in breastfeeding mothers.
* Many experts recommend against drinking more than 1-2 drinks per week.
* It is recommended that nursing moms avoid breastfeeding during and for 2-3 hours after drinking (Hale 2002).
* There is no need to pump & dump milk after drinking alcohol, other than for mom's comfort -- pumping & dumping does not speed the elimination of alcohol from the milk.
* Alcohol does not increase milk production, and has been shown to inhibit let-down and decrease milk production (see below).
* If you're away from your baby, try to pump as often as baby usually nurses (this is to maintain milk supply, not because of the alcohol). At the very least, pump or hand express whenever you feel uncomfortably full - this will help you to avoid plugged ducts and mastitis.

In general, if you are sober enough to drive, you are sober enough to breastfeed. Less than 2% of the alcohol consumed by the mother reaches her blood and milk. Alcohol peaks in mom's blood and milk approximately 1/2-1 hour after drinking (but there is considerable variation from person to person, depending upon how much food was eaten in the same time period, mom's body weight and percentage of body fat, etc.). Alcohol does not accumulate in breastmilk, but leaves the milk as it leaves the blood; so when your blood alcohol levels are back down, so are your milk alcohol levels.

Always keep in mind the baby's age when considering the effect of alcohol. A newborn has a very immature liver, so minute amounts of alcohol would be more of a burden. Up until around 3 months of age, infants detoxify alcohol at around half the rate of an adult. An older baby or toddler can metabolize the alcohol more quickly.



I am also including the link if you would like to read more.
Kellymom.com

Posted by Misti :: 7:38 PM :: 3 People having fun

Post a Comment

------Image hosting by Photobucket------